News / Publications
Shannon C. Bruning
Shannon is a governmental affairs and lobbying consultant who represents clients at the State House and in local matters.
Shannon works with and serves as a liaison between elected officials, legislative staff and professional associations. She has extensive experience monitoring and lobbying the South Carolina General Assembly, Office of the Governor, state agencies and local governments. Shannon has experience in legislation dealing with a variety of issues, including licensing funding, environmental, taxes, fees, retail, health care, retirement, insurance and regulation, as well as a variety of industry issues.
Prior to joining McNair, Shannon was the assistant to the director and legislative liaison for the South Carolina Department of Probation, Pardon, and Parole Services. In that capacity she acted as the liaison between the Office of the Governor and the South Carolina General Assembly, also representing the Department on various Boards and Legislative Study Committees concerning a variety of government and criminal matters.
Shannon has served as Executive Director to the South Carolina Convenience Store Association, serving as both chief lobbyist and administrator to the Association, and has also served as chief lobbyist in South Carolina for the South Carolina Retail Association (big box retail, pharmacy and grocery store chains) for a number of years.
- Legislative Education Director, Palmetto Girls State, American Legion Auxiliary
- Member, Women in Philanthropy, United Way
- Past Board Member, Miss South Carolina Foundation (2008-2012)
- Successfully lobbied on restructuring of state agencies, i.e., the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control, to maintain its autonomy.
- In a see-saw battle over the course of the session, successfully turned back efforts by a healthcare provider to circumvent the Certificate of Need process. Had the other side prevailed, the impact on our client would have been significant financially and from a service provision perspective.
- Successfully passed legislation to remove the sales tax on medication administered in a physician’s office.
- Successfully passed legislation to establish Stroke System of Care and funding to implement.
- Successfully lobbied to pass regulations impacting nursing home care in SC.
- Successfully represented the SC Society of Ophthalmologists in battle over scope of practice issues.
- Successfully lobbied to pass legislation to enact a Maternal Mobility Committee on behalf of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.