News / Publications
Melissa L. Azallion
Hilton Head Is., SC Office
23-B Shelter Cove Lane
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
843.686.5991 Fax Charleston, SC Office
100 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
843.722.3227 Fax Assistant
Melissa Azallion has more than 20 years of experience advising clients on business immigration and labor and employment law issues. Ms. Azallion represents clients in multiple industries including manufacturing, technology, health care, quick service/food service, hospitality, government and education. In addition to serving as legal counsel for clients over the past fifteen years, Ms. Azallion worked as a Human Resources Administrator and Affirmative Action Director for the University of Dayton, where she was responsible for writing and directing the University’s Affirmative Action Plan. Ms. Azallion joined McNair in 2012 as a Shareholder and leads the Firm's Immigration Practice Group.
Ms. Azallion’s immigration experience includes the representation of multinational and domestic corporations, their employees and private individuals in business immigration matters before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the U.S. Department of Labor, and at U.S. Consulates and Embassies throughout the world. Ms. Azallion assists businesses in obtaining and maintaining temporary work visas for professionals and skilled workers. She also has substantial experience assisting U.S. and international companies in sponsoring foreign nationals for green cards including labor certifications, national interest waivers and extraordinary alien petitions, among others. She processes J-1 visa waivers for foreign medical graduates and advises students and exchange visitors on a diverse range of issues. Ms. Azallion defends U.S. employers involved in ICE and state immigration audits, and conducts training sessions for clients on immigration matters including I-9 and E-Verify compliance.
Labor and Employment Representation
Ms. Azallion provides advice and consultation to clients and assists in litigation matters on topics including: harassment and discrimination, wage and hour issues, restrictive covenants, FMLA, ADA and worker’s compensation issues, affirmative action and OFCCP compliance. Additionally, Ms. Azallion regularly provides client training on a diverse range of employment topics including discrimination and harassment in the workplace. Ms. Azallion represents clients before the EEOC, U.S. Department of Labor and other employment agencies. She also advises clients on affirmative action issues in OFCCP compliance desk audits and reviews.
Ms. Azallion is a frequent speaker for community and business organizations on immigration and employment topics. She is also actively involved in professional organizations such as serving on the Board of Directors for the Hilton Head Christian Academy and as a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
- Member of the Board of Directors, Hilton Head Christian Academy
- Past Member of the Board of Directors, Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce
- Past Chairperson, Lowcountry Workforce Investment Board
- Chairperson, South Carolina Bar, Immigration Law Committee
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Greater Island Council
- Named, Legal Elite of the Upstate, Greenville Business Magazine (2018)
- 2012 Leadership in Law recipient
- "40 Under 40" Award, Savannah Business Journal
- Presenter, "Aerospace and Defense: How the Global Industry is Reshaping Itself." SC Aerospace Conference & Expo (2017)
- Presenter, McNair Employment and Labor Breakfast Series (2014-present)
- Presenter, "The Ins and Outs of Business Immigration Issues: Is Your Business Ready for 2016?" McNair and NCSHRM Webinar Series (2016)