News / Publications
George E. Morrison
George Morrison is the leader of the firm's Business and Real Estate Practice Group. He advises corporate clients on formation, succession, and transactional issues, and general business matters. He is involved in all areas of corporate practice, including entity formation, mergers and acquisitions, liquidations, reorganizations and corporate governance.
George has extensive experience advising borrowers and lenders in commercial lending transactions and in the preparation of third-party closing opinions, whether as local or lead counsel.
George maintains an active estate planning and probate administration practice, representing clients of all kinds, whether high net worth individuals and families or families looking to adapt to life changes, such as marriages, children and expanding businesses.
George also advises individuals and businesses on Section 1031 tax deferred real estate exchanges, Partnership and S-Corporation taxation, mergers and acquisitions, tax structuring for real estate transactions, and other tax aspects of doing business, including handling commercial and manufacturing property tax appeals at all administrative levels.
- Advises individuals and businesses on the following: estate planning and trusts, probate administration, charitable planning and business succession planning
- Extensive work with tax-exempt organizations, including nonprofit advisement and Internal Revenue Code compliance, including restoration of revoked tax-exempt status
- Obtains IRS tax exemption recognition determination letters, including for tax-exempt entities formed to serve as conduit borrowers of tax-exempt financing
- Representation of economic development clients in incentive transactions involving fees in lieu of property taxes and multi-county industrial parks
- Representation of borrowers and lenders in varied commercial loan transactions, including construction lending, asset-based lending, project finance and revolving lines of credit
- Member, Charleston Tax Council
- Member, Charleston County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Tax Section, numerous committees and subcommittees, including on partnership taxation and tax-exempt organizations
- Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section, numerous committees and subcommittees, including on LLPs, LLCs, legal opinions, and secured transactions under the UCC
- Member, Corporate Banking and Securities Law Section, South Carolina Bar
- Chair (2017)
- Vice Chair (2016)
- Member, Board of Directors, Engaging Creative Minds
- Member, Loan Committee, South Carolina Community Loan Fund
- Coastal Community Foundation Open Grants Committee, 2011
- Extensive involvement with assisting nonprofit organizations with startup and other issues
- Leadership Charleston Class of 2008
- Leadership South Carolina Class of 2015
- South Carolina Bar Pro Bono Honor Roll 2012
- Deans List, University of South Carolina
- Arthur B. Custy Tax Award, University of South Carolina
- CALI Award - Corporate Taxation, University of South Carolina
- CALI Award - Agency, Partnership, and LLCs, University of South Carolina
- CALI Award - Antitrust and Trade Regulation, University of South Carolina
- Echols Scholar, University of Virginia
- National Merit Scholar
- Contributing Author, South Carolina Tax Lawyers Blog (2011-present)
- Contributing Author, LexisNexis "South Carolina State Tax Practice Insights"