News / Publications
Andrew G. Melling
Andrew is a litigator who focuses on commercial and health care litigation, as well as pharmaceutical product liability, Federal False Claims Act Litigation, construction defect litigation, real property disputes, medical malpractice defense and personal injury/wrongful death claims.
Andrew has tried multiple cases to verdict, including several multi-week jury trials. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in commercial and business litigation. His product liability experience includes more than 10 years of representation of a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in two multi-district litigation actions.
- Successfully represented a Qui Tam Plaintiff (Relator) in a Federal False Claims Act claim against a medical device manufacturer that was providing kickbacks to durable medical equipment suppliers. This resulted in one of the largest False Claims Act recoveries in South Carolina.
- Represented a paper manufacturer in the prosecution of a misappropriation of trade secrets claim
- Managed the South Carolina portion of the multi-district litigation for a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in defense of product liability claims involving a cholesterol-lowering drug
- Obtained defense verdicts in medical malpractice trials for an orthopedic surgeon and a radiation oncologist
- Counsel in case in which South Carolina Supreme Court ruled in client's favor, changing the law involving social host liability to underage drinkers
- Represented a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company in defense of a product liability claim alleging injuries resulting from allegedly contaminated albuterol
- Represented a national homebuilder in defense of a class action involving stucco claims
- Represented an accountant in a dispute over the valuation of his interest in an accounting firm
- Represented an obstetrician in a medical malpractice involving the delivery of the Plaintiffs' child
- Weston v. Kim’s Dollar Store and Ciba Vision, A Div. of Novartis Co., 731 S.E.2d 864 (2012)
- Walterboro Cmty. Hosp. v. Meacher, 709 S.E.2d 71 (2010)
- United States of America ex rel. Lowman v. Hilton Head Health Sys., L.P., 487 F. Supp.2d (2007)
- Marcum v. Bowden, 643 S.E.2d 85 (2007)