News / Publications
Alicia E. Thompson
Since her first clerkship as a summer associate in 2006, Alicia has been with McNair and never looked back. Through a decade of practice on the Grand Strand, Alicia has proven herself an exemplary litigation attorney by creatively solving complex problems.
Alicia’s focus on the development, community association, and construction industries is a result of her passion in real property and business law. She deals with issues arising from construction and community association disputes on a daily basis. Knowledgeable and motivated, Alicia is qualified to represent clients in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. District Court of South Carolina.
While in law school at Tulane, Alicia was displaced from her home in New Orleans due to Hurricane Katrina, providing her with a unique perspective on complex contractual and building issues in the context of natural disasters. Her experiences motivate her to provide aggressive and inventive representation of construction and community association clients to ensure their legal rights are upheld. She also represents local companies, including hospitality and tourism clients, in diverse areas such as defending and prosecuting foreclosures, derivative and declaratory judgment actions, unfair trade practices and defamation claims, and shareholder disputes.
Born and raised in Pennsylvania, Alicia has called the Grand Strand her home since 2000. She and her husband Greg have three children: Trevor, Eleanor, and Lillian. It is with great pride that she represents those who call coastal South Carolina home.
- Succeeded on Motion for Summary Judgment in breach of covenants case against Association
- Succeeded on Motion to Dismiss in 2 UTPA cases against Associations
- Succeeded on Motion for Summary Judgment in Collection case on behalf of Association, which was added in a complex business dispute between shareholders of a wireless internet company
- Successfully co-chaired trial to defense verdict and affirmed on appeal
- Completed all discovery and assisted in preparation of non-jury case against Association and Developer and won on directed verdict, settled remaining legal claims
- Listed, South Carolina Super Lawyers® (2014-2017)
- "Super Lawyers Rising Star," Business Litigation (2014-2017)
- American Red Cross, Volunteer Rookie of the Year (2010)
- Member, Community Association Institute (2014-present)
- Member, South Carolina Bar Community Association Committee (2016-present)
- Member, Mary Chapin Memorial Library Advisory Board to Myrtle Beach City Council (2016-present)
- Member, Woman in Philanthropy and Leadership Scholarship Committee (2017-present)
- Member, Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce Legislative Policy Council (2012-2013, 2015-present)
- Co-Executive Director, ExecuVision, Inc. (2015-2016)
- Member, South Carolina Women's Lawyer's Association (2013-present)
- Member, Coastal Women’s Lawyer Association (2015-present)
- Member, Horry County Bar (2008-present)
- Former Board Member, Coastal Carolina Chapter of the American Red Cross (2010-2013)
- Graduate, Leadership Grand Strand, Class XXXI
- Former Vice President, Grand Strand Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association (2010-2014)
- Presenter, "Navigating Legal Issues on the Internet," Community Association Institute (2015)
- Presenter, "Navigating Legal Issues on the Internet," Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce (2015)
- Presenter, "Top Ten: Best Practices for Fulfilling Fiduciary Duties," Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce (2014)