If environmental regulations affect your business, McNair stands ready to help. We have attorneys that assist with environmental regulatory legal needs and work with real estate developers, manufacturers, and mining companies, and other businesses purchasing, selling, and financing real property. We strive to help companies respond to the various regulatory requirements in a cost-efficient and time-effective manner.
Solving today’s problems – and tomorrow’s
We appreciate that regulatory burdens and the threat of litigation often affect how businesses plan for the future. For that reason, we strive not only to solve today’s problems, but to anticipate tomorrow’s. We apply our knowledge of flexible permitting options, voluntary clean-up projects, and other strategies to help relieve clients of as many regulatory burdens as possible, and to shield them, to the extent feasible, from enforcement actions and third-party litigation.
Helping gauge your environmental risks
In assessing a property for sale or purchase, companies need to take environmental regulations into account. We help clients quantify the potential costs of cleaning up a troubled site, and help determine the risks of lawsuits based on the site’s environmental conditions. On behalf of our clients, we also obtain from government agencies long-term protection from future legal actions in exchange for agreements to undertake clean-up work. Our clients count on us to know whom to contact – and at which agency – regarding their regulatory concerns.
Serving the government as well as industry
In addition to serving the private sector, we counsel governments on environmental regulation law. We have assisted municipalities with liability concerns as they coordinated economic-development programs involving the acquisition of property and the transfer of property to the private sector.
An experienced line of defense
McNair is committed to risk mitigation for our clients. In the context of environmental litigation defense, we focus on reaching favorable solutions through mediation and settlement, thereby keeping clients out of the courtroom. Sometimes, though, litigation is necessary, and we are ready for it when it is. We have defended clients against claims brought by the EPA and state environmental agencies, including claims under federal and state Superfund programs. We defend companies and executives against actions involving the Clean Water Act, the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, and other statutes. We represent clients in litigation at trial and on appeal.
- McNair Assists Prysmian Group with its $15 Million Lexington County ExpansionOctober 9, 2017
- McNair Assists Prysmian Group in $14 Million Expansion in Abbeville CountyJuly 28, 2017
- McNair Receives National and Metropolitan Honors in 2017 Best Law FirmsNovember 1, 2016
- Six McNair Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"August 24, 2016
- 54 McNair Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017August 15, 2016
- Pamela Baker Selected for Riley Institute at Furman Diversity Leaders Initiative's 9th ClassJanuary 26, 2016
- McNair Expands Environmental Practice with Stacy TaylorJuly 15, 2015
- McNair Strengthens Environmental Practice with Return of Pamela BakerJune 8, 2015