News / Publications
Richard J. Morgan
Rick Morgan is a Shareholder in McNair Law Firm’s Columbia, South Carolina office. He is a member of the American, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Richland County Bar Associations and is licensed to practice in South Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. Rick served as the 1999-2000 Chairperson of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the South Carolina Bar.
Rick advises and counsels employers on all aspects of employment and labor law issues and has experience representing employers in state and federal courts and in administrative tribunals. He has defended employers in litigation involving discrimination, retaliation, workplace harassment, wage and hour laws, unemployment compensation, unfair labor practices, contract disputes, wrongful termination, negligent supervision/hiring/retention, employee benefits, intentional infliction of emotional distress, defamation, conspiracy, and enforcement of non-compete agreements. In addition, Rick has advised employers during union organizing attempts.
- Representative Engagements
- Awards and Recognition
- Professional and Community Involvement
- Reported Cases
- Settled ADA class action lawsuit for payment of a nominal amount to plaintiffs that if not settled would have shutdown/bankrupt a public transportation system
- Summary Judgment in class action race discrimination lawsuit with potential exposure in excess of $100 million dollars
- SC Court of Appeals decision establishing factors to avoid treble damages and attorneys fees in wage payment case
- Fourth Circuit Opinion reversing U.S. District court finding of punitive damages
- Successfully defended (jury verdict) defamation claim by Doctor, Former Chair of Hospital's Board of Directors
- Winning numerous jury trials in which individuals claimed major corporation discriminated against them
- Successfully defended "Batson" charge before Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Successfully defended (jury verdict) in race discrimination, race harassment case
- Successfully defended (jury verdict) in sex discrimination, sex harassment, wage case
- Successfully pleaded (jury verdict) in case against former employees of our client who stole some of our client's business ($2,001,000 verdict)
- Selected for inclusion in the Greater Columbia Business Monthly® 2010 Legal Elite
- Rick is certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as an Employment and Labor Specialist.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012
- Selected for inclusion in South Carolina Super Lawyers®
- McNair Leadership Award
- Board of Directors Chair Emeritus 2011 - 2012 and Executive Committee - Junior Achievement of Central South Carolina, Inc.
- Board Member 2011 - 2014 - Committee of 100, Central SC Alliance
- Former Chair of Labor & Employment Section of the South Carolina Bar
January 1, 2003
Bryant v. Aiken Reg'l Med Ctrs., Inc.
Case Cite: 333 F. 3d 536
January 1, 2001
Henderson v. Fuji Photo Film, Inc.
Case Cite: 10 Fed. App. LEXIS 88
February 9, 2000
Madrazo v. Blue Dolphin Communs.
Case Cite: 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 21301
January 1, 2000
Blocker v. Avondale Mills, Inc.
Case Cite: 2000 U.S. App. LEXIS 18663
June 1, 1999
Prescott v. Farmers Telephone Co-op., Inc.
Case Cite: 335 S.C. 330, 516 S.E. 2d 923